Thursday 17 January 2013

REVIEW: Darkhouse by Karina Halle


Darkhouse by Karina Halle

(Experiment in Terror #1)

5 STARS


Goodreads Blurb:


With all the vampire, werewolf and faerie books out there, it's easy to become numb to all things supernatural. The antidote? Darkhouse introduces two real and unforgettable characters, Perry Palomino & Dex Foray, amateur ghost hunters who are "attractive, relatable and oddly heroic," "flawed but loveable," "slightly crazy" and just the most endearing pair to ever tackle the paranormal...just don't call them normal. Darkhouse is a thrilling and sexy new take on concepts like Supernatural and The X-Files, bringing a breath of fresh air to a genre that has been inundated with the dead.

***Darkhouse and the Experiment in Terror series is a horror/romance for mature audiences only. Readers who are easily offended by harsh language should think twice about reading it.***

THIS BOOK IS RECOMMENDED FOR MATURE READERS AUDIENCES ONLY. HOWEVER, THIS REVIEW ITSELF DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL.

My Review:

Darkhouse was my first book by Karina Halle and I was pleasantly surprised with her intriguing style of writing. She made me laugh, made me feel scared and created very different, original and interesting characters in this book. I like when authors are able to use the right amount of sarcasm in theirs stories, and Karina Halle definitely knows how to do that. I never watch horror movies but I love reading horror stories. It has been quite a long time since I read some horror so I am very grateful that EIT series were recommended to me by a good friend of mine.

Perry Palomino is "delightfully impulsive" 22-years old woman who grew on me right from the very beginning of this book. She works as a receptionist and even though she is not happy with her job, she knows it is better than having any. The thing I like the most about Perry is the fact that she is funny and remarkable kind of person, always choosing the more crazy and more interesting alternative when given a choice. I really like Perry and she made a perfect narrator for this book.

Dex was also very interesting character. I could not figure him out, there was something mystical about him but I liked it. A lot. Most of the time, he was driving Perry (and me) crazy but I had to like him nonetheless. Both, Perry and Dex, are not ideal or perfect people, they have their flaws but it makes them very likeable characters. Moreover, it was very easy for me to feel connected to them on many levels.

I realize that this book is not for everyone. But if you like realistic characters set in paranormal setting with some horror aspects, go for it. And I am sure you will love it. Experiment in Terror are already my top favourite adult paranormal series so I HIGHLY recommend it!

author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.