Sunday 8 September 2013

REVIEW: Lash by L.G. Castillo


Lash by L.G. Castillo

(Broken Angel #1)

Genre: NA Paranormal Romance

2 STARS


Goodreads Blurb:

Decades after being banished from Heaven for saving a life he shouldn’t have, Lash is given a chance to redeem himself. His mission: protect Naomi Duran, a young woman who has lost her faith. The assignment proves to be anything but simple when his superiors, the Archangels, withhold key information about Naomi and refuse to restore Lash’s powers. When an unexpected source reveals centuries-old secrets, his trust is shaken to the core, and he begins to doubt those whom he had once considered to be his greatest allies.

Determined to avoid anything that would risk his chances of returning to Heaven, Lash struggles with the greatest obstacle of all—his growing feelings for Naomi. But when her life is threatened by an unknown source, Lash questions the wisdom of the Archangels and his ability to keep her safe.

Soon, Lash will have to choose where to place his faith—in the home he has fought so hard to regain or in the forbidden love he can’t bear to lose.

My Review:


Lash is a seraph angel. He is regularly given assignements to which he always does adjustments, deciding to go his own way, even if it means going against directs orders. But going against God's wishes has huge consequences and big punishment. So when after decades of exile he is given a chance to redeem himself, he is determined to do anything to fulfill his assignement. What he never expected was to fall in love with the object of his assignement - Naomi.


I really liked the premise of this story. However, execution was not so great. I didn't like the way angels were depicted here. I wasn't sure what to think about these modern name-changing/poker-playing/hooker-f*cking archangels and seraphs. They were too much like humans, they had too many vices for my liking. I understand that author was aiming for something unique and original, but it just didn't work for me at all.

This book is written in multiple POV. Unfortunatelly, I didn't feel any connection with heroine and her POV wasn't interesting for me at all. I like to read about broken characters. But Noami was never broken, she was just extremely weak character who was getting on my nerves all the time.

On the other side, I enjoyed reading Lash POV much better. But still, for a rebellious angel, he was very lame alpha male. And there is nothing more disappointing than weak alpha male character. Moreover, he and Naomi, were so boring as a couple.

Now when it is all said and done, I think it is quite clear that I don't plan on reading sequel and I would not recommend this book to my friends.
author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.