Thursday 4 December 2014

LIFE CHANGING READS #1: OUTLANDER SERIES

 LIFE CHANGING READS is occasional blog feature in which I talk about books that recently (or in the past) had a big impact on me and left me in the state of slight addiction in one form or another.

We know it all. Sleepless nights and reading until early morning hours. Sneaking to read your kindle/paperback in work or school. Daydreaming about book characters and being unable to concentrate on something else than the book you are reading at the moment. Hours and hours of chatting with your friends and passionate discussions on book forums. Emotional reactions to all the bad or good that happened to the characters of the novel you are addicted to and the biggest possible book hangover as a result. And most importantly the knowledge that in some way, your life has been altered. Oh yes, I am talking about life changing reads.


My today's pick is Outlander series as a whole. My initial inspiration for this post. This series touched my heart deeply and completely knocked down than redefined my opinion about how epic romance and phenomenal writing should look like. I love all kinds of books and have favorites in different genres. I have been reading since I was 6 years old but I it was only after I read Outlander when I realized that I had been waiting for this book my whole life (it's quite a paradox since first book in this series was released over 20 years ago but I only found out about it this year). 

So what is all of this about?
Claire Randall - a witty and compassionate woman from 20th century thrown into dangers of 18th century Scottish Highlands. James Fraser - a selfless and passionate Scottish warrior finding his way in the game of intrigues between Scottish lords and English superiors. What happens when fate brings these two people together?
In short, Outlander series is one emotional and adventurous family saga. If anyone is interested in reading my spoiler-free review of Outlander #1 as well as my spoiler-free review of Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2), feel free to do so. However, I won't be sharing full reviews of other books in the series because it's impossible to do so without giving any spoilers.

These books are long and descriptive but also authentic, realistic and very emotional. It is not an easy read. Author, Diana Gabaldon played with my emotions masterfully. I loved it and I hated it. I laughed and I cried. But reward for investing your time, mind and heart into reading this series is more than worth it. Are you still not intrigued? Maybe this gif of main character Jamie Fraser aka King of Men portrayed by Sam Heughan in new TV adaptation by STARZ will peak your interest :) 



And a little advice for you, my fellow readers, in case you decide to give this series a try:



WHICH SERIES HAD THE BIGGEST IMPACT ON YOU AND WHY? 
HAVE YOU READ OUTLANDER SERIES? 
LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS!

 Never Miss a Post:

Follow
author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.