Sunday 28 August 2016

DOUBLE MONTHLY RECAP: MY SUMMER READING LIST

Double Monthly Recap is my version of Stacking the Shelves post in which I talk about all the books that I read and posts that I shared on the blog in last two months. Linking up with Stacking the Shelves post by Tynga’s Reviews.



This summer, I have been on a quest to find my perfect contemporary romance. I tried new releases and even old books that have been sitting on my TBR list for months/years. And after many romance (some bad, some mediocre), I found only one book which romance won me over. Even though my quest wasn't as successful as I would wish, I ticked off couple of backlist titles from my TBR and that makes me happy!


WORD COUNT: 953 700


According to How Long to Read I read 953 700 words in last two months. Considering that I have been super busy with work, I am happy with the amount of books that I managed to read.



WHAT I READ IN JULY AND AUGUST:

(pictures are linked to respective Goodreads page)

....
....


A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin (5 STARS)

I loved it! Reading this series makes waiting for season 7 and book #6 easier.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (3 STARS)

Yes, there were some scenes that I truly enjoyed. And yes, it was lovely to revisit my childhood heroes. However, whole storyline was way over the top. It brought nothing new only recycled old storylines. And worst of all, all characters seemed like caricatures of their old selves. And that was very very disappointing.

Veiled by Karina Halle (3.5 STARS)

Veiled is a book that won’t offend and if you enjoy paranormal romances it will definitely entertain you.

Wicked Hearts (Starcrossed #3) by Leisa rayven (3 STARS)

Writing was amazing and if it wasn't for the presence of pet peeve of mine, I would enjoy this novel even more.

Not Okay Cupid by Keidi R. Kling (DNF)

DNF at 17 %. Juvenile and boring. Not interested.

Swear on This Life by Renee Carlino (3 STARS)

In its essence, Swear on This Life is second chance romance, childhood friends turned lovers and novel featuring other book and writers. All the tropes that I love. Yet it didn’t have as big emotional impact on me as I hoped it would. I blame unrealistic “voice“ of characters. Still, I read this novel in one sitting (which proves that story was interesting) so I’m going to recommend it to those who enjoy above mentioned tropes!

Sweet Thing by Renne Carlino (2 STARS)

And the award for the most disappointing and bitchy character goes to…. Mia Kelly! Mia; main character and narrator; is super judgmental, hypocritical, snob, dishonest, self-centered, self-pitying, rude and cruel when angry. She is the worst. I wonder how someone who prides herself in being sensible could make such stupid life decisions and behaved so terrible to loved ones. I truly could not stand her and there were plenty of moments when I considered simply DNFing this novel. It is very likely that my huge issues with heroine played a role but either way I truly did not like this book. Overall flow of the story was weird and storytelling was extremely weak. Not recommended!

To Love Jason Thorn by Ella Maise (3 STARS)

Great leisure read for hot summer afternoon. I went into this novel with zero expectation and it paid off!


Wasted Words by Staci Hart (2 STARS)

*sigh* I have had no luck with female characters lately. Cam was judgy, meddling “know-it-all” girl who got on my nerves non-stop. And sadly, romance didn’t do it for me either.

Kyland by Mia Sheridan (4 STARS)

Finally a contemporary romance that had my full attention. Maybe it is not a masterpiece but it didn‘t make me want to strangle heroine and it made me FEEL! And for that I am thankful. Recommended!



MY LAST TWO MONTHS IN PICTURES:


Here are candles and books that ruled my summer.

signed hardcover copy of Morning Star / vanilla scented candle


Some Kind of Perfect paperback / Addicted series swag / lily of the valley scented candle


my summer TBR / banana-strawberry muffin / red berries scented candles



WHAT DID YOU MISS?







WHAT DID YOU ADD TO YOUR SHELVES RECENTLY?
ANY BOOKISH/BLOGGING NEWS THAT I MISSED?

Never Miss a Post:

Follow
author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.